This case traces the development of 3M’s innovative and global culture from its early
days through 2018. The main focus of the case is on the evolution of culture at 3M, and
how this culture drove their global strategy through a continual stream of product
innovations that have taken the company into a large number of different industries. The
case also looks at how management deliberately institutionalized the emerging culture
at 3M by creating rules and procedures that provided opportunities for, and rewarded,
innovative risk taking.
You will need to review the case study in your textbook (Case 19), the weekly readings,
and outside research, then answer the following questions utilizing topics covered in
chapters 9 and 10.
• How was the culture of entrepreneurship and innovation nurtured at 3M from the
era of McKnight through to that of DeSimone? How has entrepreneurship been
institutionalized within the company?
• What were the strengths of the organization and culture of 3M during the
McKnight to DeSimone era? What were the potential weaknesses?
• Over their existence, 3M has utilized both related and unrelated diversification.
Please provide an example of each in relation to 3M. How did each type of
diversification work out for the company?
• Utilizing different examples than in question 3, what has 3M done right with their
diversification? What have they done incorrectly? Why?
• Submit a two-three page Word document covering the elements of the
• Develop a clear introduction, body, and conclusion. Use paragraph format and
• Focus on the quality of writing and content.
BUS411 – Business Policy
3M: The Innovation Engine – Case 19
• Use elements of APA formatting (title, references, and in-text citations). Abstract
is not required. The title page, reference page, and appendices are excluded in
page length requirement.
• Research and cite at least two academic sources in APA format.
Be sure to read the criteria below by which your work will be evaluated before
you write and again after you write.
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.